Flat Iron Steak with Herb Butter
The herb butter for these steaks is an adaptation of a classic accompaniment called maître d' butter.
- 4 (8-oz.) flat iron steaks
- 4 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp. roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp. roughly chopped chives
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation method1. Rub steaks generously with salt and pepper and set aside to let rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Combine the butter, parsley, chives, and shallots with a fork in a medium bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper; cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 steaks and cook, flipping once, until seared and medium rare, about 8 minutes. Transfer steaks to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil and steaks. To serve, smear each steak with 2 tbsp. of the herb butter.